Ruffled birthday cake
Celebrate your special occasion in style with this delicious and stunning ruffled birthday cake recipe. With its delicate layers of moist and fluffy cake, creamy frosting, and beautiful ruffled Sugar Paste, this cake is sure to impress your guests and make your birthday extra special.
What you need to make your ruffled birthday cake:
- 330 g FunCakes Mix for Sponge Cake Deluxe
- 200 g FunCakes Mix for Buttercream
- 600 g FunCakes Marzipan Blank 1:3
- 250 g FunCakes Sugar Paste Pastel Green
- 250 g FunCakes Suger Paste Dark pink
- 250 g FunCakes Sugar Paste Botanical Green
- 250 g FunCakes Sugar Paste Turquoise
- FunCakes Flavour Paste Mango
- FunCakes Food Colour Gel Turquoise
- FunCakes Food Colour Royal Blue
- FunCakes Food Colour Pink
- FunCakes Sprinkle Medley Gold 80g
- FunCakes Sprinkle Medley Happy Halloween 65g
- FunCakes Edible Metallic Paint Copper 30ml
- FunCakes Edible Glue 22g
- FunCakes Magic Roll Out Powder
- FunCakes Bake Release Spray 200ml
- 250 g unsalted butter
- 230 ml water
- 5 eggs (approx. 250 g)
- FunCakes Decorating Bags
- Wilton – Wide Glide- Rolling 50 cm
- Wilton Decorator Preferred® Deep Bakeware Round Ø 15x7,5cm
- Wilton Small Cake Leveler -25cm-
- Wilton Recipe Right Non-Stick Cooling Grid - 40x25cm
- Wilton Decorating Tip #789 Cake Icer
- PME Modeling Tools Taper & Round Point
- FMM Multi Strip Cutter
- Patisse Cake Edge Side Scraper 20cm
- Dekofee Profi Brush 1
- Pink gypsophila
- Cling Film
Preheat the oven to 180°C (convection oven 160°C) and grease the baking pans with baking spray.
Prepare 330 g FunCakes Mix for Sponge Deluxe as directed on the package. Divide the batter between the 2 baking pans and bake for about 30-35 minutes until done. Let the cake cool down by using a cooling grid.
Prepare 200 g FunCakes Mix for Buttercream as directed on the package. Flavour the buttercream with the flavour paste.
Cut the cakes both 2x with the cake leveler and fill and spread all around with buttercream. Let the cake set in the refrigerator for half an hour and then spread another layer of butter cream on top. Let this also set in the refrigerator.
Knead the marzipan well and roll it into an oblong piece that fits around your cake. Cut away the excess. Do not line the top.
Knead the Sugar Paste well and roll thin strips. The thinner the prettier the ruffles will be! Take the multi ribbon cutter and cut strips about 1.5 cm wide with it, using the largest intermediate piece and the smooth wheels. Make all the different strips at once and put them under plastic wrap so it can’t dry out.
Sprinkle some FunCakes Magic Roll Out Powder on your work surface and roll the bulbulous cone (taper and round tip tool) over the bottom of the strip of fondant. You will see it become thin and this is how the ruffles are created. Cut the ruffles to the size of your cake and stick them vertically against the cake with some edible glue. Do this strip by strip. With some paint, paint the edges of some of the ruffles.
Divide the remaining buttercream into 2 portions and this you color dark pink and mystic turquoise. To get this mix turquoise and royal blue together. Coat the top of the cake with a thin layer of pink buttercream. Put the cake icer in a decorating bag and put the two colours of buttercream side by side in the decorating bag. With this, now swirl two curved strands on top of the cake.
Decorate cake with the hydrangea and gypsophila (dip the ends of the stems in some melted chocolate) and sprinkle with some musket and gold balls from the medley.