Knitted Christmas cake
Get ready for the holiday spirit with our Knitted Christmas Cake recipe. This amazing cake, with a knitted pattern, gingerbread cookies & more is the showpiece of your Christmas dinner! Create this sweet masterpiece that captures the warmth and magic of the season in every slice. Psst: Check out our Limited Christmas sweater if you want to match with the cake 😉
What you need to make your knitted christmas cake:
- 500 g FunCakes Mix for Sponge Cake Deluxe
- 300 g FunCakes Mix for Buttercream
- 250 g FunCakes Mix for Royal Icing
- 1,3 kg FunCakes Sugar Paste White
- 700 g FunCakes Sugar Paste Denim Blue
- FunCakes Flavour Paste Lebkuchen
- FunCakes Food Colour Gel Pink
- FunCakes Food Colour Gel Brown
- FunCakes Sugar Pearl Black Medium
- FunCakes Bake Release Spray
- FunCakes Edible Glue
- FunCakes Tylo Powder
- FMM Dab-a-Dust Dusting Pouch filled with maizena
- 380 ml water
- 375 g unsalted butter
- 8 eggs (approx. 400 g)
- Apricot Jam
- FunCakes Decorating Bags
- Wilton Decorator Preferred® Deep Round Baking Pan Ø 20x7,5cm
- Wilton Decorating Tip #003 Round
- Wilton Standard Adaptor/Coupler
- Wilton Cake Leveler 25 cm
- Wilton Wide Glide Rolling Pin with Rings 22,5cm
- Wilton Recipe Right Cooling Grid
- Wilton Comfort Grip Spatela Angled 22,5 cm
- Wilton Basic Turn Table
- PME Wooden Lollypop sticks
- PME Heart Cookie Cutter Set/2
- PME Snowflake Plunger Cutter Set/3
- Patisse Cake Scraper 20cm
- Patisse Cookie Cutter Gingerbread Man Set/5
- Karen Davies Mal Coarse Knitted Decorative Edge
- Karen Davies Mal Coarse Knitted Ribbed Decorative Edge
- Karen Davies Mal Knitted Decorations
- Culpitt Flower Wire Silver 24 gauge
Colour 500 g of the 1,3 kg FunCakes Sugar Paste White brown and colour 500 g light pink. Make 150 g Sugar Paste dark pink and leave the rest white. Pack it in ziplock bags so it won’t dry out.
TIP! Make the gingerbread toppers 2-3 days before, so it can dry well.
Sprinkle cornstarch over the Karen Davies Mould Coarse Knitted Ornamental Border and brush out the excess. Do this every time you fill the mold. Push the brown sugar paste into the mold. Take it out and cut out 2 large gingerbread men. Use this mold with the dark pink sugar paste as well. Cut a gingerbread man out of this as well and use this to cut a dress and hat. Stick this with some edible glue on 1 of the gingerbread men.
Prepare 250 g FunCakes Mix for Royal Icing as indicated on the package, put this in a decorating bag with adaptor and decorating tip #003. Swirl a decorative border around the dress. Also use this to decorate the other gingerbread men and to stick the pearls.
Let this dry flat on a piece of kitchen paper for a few days. When the little men are thoroughly dry stick a stick behind them with some royal icing. This way you can push them firmly into the cake.
Knead some white sugar paste briefly and roll it out wafer thin. Cut out snowflakes from this. Cut some silver wires in half, dip the ends in royal icing diluted with some water and let air dry. Stick the other end of the wires with some royal icing between two thinly outlined snowflakes and let dry. Again, it is best to make this a few days in advance.
Preheat the oven to 180°C (convection oven 160°C) and grease the baking pan with baking spray.
Prepare 250 g FunCakes Mix for Sponge Cake Deluxe as indicated on the package. Spoon this into the baking pan and bake the cookie for about 30-35 minutes until done. Let the cake cool down after baking. Bake a second cake with the same quantities.
Prepare 300 g FunCakes Mix for Buttercream as indicated on the package. Flavour to taste with the FunCakes Flavour Paste Lebkuchen.
Using the cake leveler, cut the sponge cake both 2x. Start and end with a tight bottom, this way your cake will be nice and straight. Pile all the layers on top of each other with buttercream and apricot jam and cover all around with buttercream. Place the cake in the refrigerator and let set.
Knead the brown sugar paste smoothly and use the Karen Davies Mould Coarse Knitted Ribbed Decorative Border to make a few slices. Cut out small gingerbread men from these.
Knead the blue and light pink sugar paste well and, using the Karen Davies Mould Coarse Knitted Decorative Edge, make several slices. Cut small hearts from a pink slice.
Cut the blue slices in half and use them to line the bottom of the cake. Cut from light pink slices small gingerbread men and fill them with the brown gingerbread men you made. Line the top of the cake with these.
On top of the cake, place a blue strip in the center and a light pink strip with a knitted pattern on either side.
Stick the small light pink hearts on the cake. Knead the white sugar paste briefly and roll it out wafer thin. Cut out snowflakes from this. Stick some of these on top of the cake with some edible glue.
Using the dark pink sugar paste, make a few braided strands with the mold and stick this on top of the cake as a finishing touch. Before serving, stick the gingerbread toppers into the cake.