Kids animal cake
Want to bring the jungle home? Make it happen and bake this creative and colourful animal cake for a birthday or for any other occasion.
- 800 g FunCakes Mix for Sponge Cake Deluxe
- 500 g FunCakes Mix for Buttercream
- 3 kg FunCakes Fondant - Bright White
- FunCakes Flavour Paste of your choice
- FunCakes FunColours Paste Food Colour
- FunCakes Edible FunColours Gel - Brown
- FunCakes Edible FunColours Gel - Red
- FunCakes Edible FunColours Gel - Orange
- FunCakes Edible FunColours Gel - Bright Green
- FunCakes Edible FunColours Dust - Dark Chocolate
- FunCakes Edible FunColours Dust - Holly Green
- FunCakes Edible FunColours Brush Food Pen – Orange
- FunCakes Sugar Pearls 4mm – Shiny Black
- 650 g unsalted butter
- 580 ml water
- 13 eggs (approx. 650g)
- FunCakes Bake Release Spray
- FunCakes Piping Gel
- FunCakes Decorating Bags
- FunCakes Cake Carton Ø 16 cm
- FunCakes Cake arton Ø 20 cm
- FunCakes Cake Drum Ø 30 cm
- FunCakes Magic Roll-Out Powder
- Wilton -Wide Glide- rolling pin
- Wilton Cake Leveler
- Wilton Cooling Grid
- Wilton Spatula Curved
- Wilton Turning Table
- Wilton Decorating Tip #233
- Wilton Plastic Dowel Rods
- Wilton Brush
- Wilton -Decorator Preferred®- Baking Pan Ø 15 cm
- Wilton -Decorator Preferred®- Baking Pan Ø 20 cm
- Wilton -Decorator Preferred®- Baking Pan Ø 25 cm
- PME Side Scraper
- PME Modelling tools - Flower/Leaf
- PME Modelling tools - Cutting Wheels
- PME ball tool
- Katy Sue Mould Sugar Buttons – Dog
- Katy Sue Mould Sugar Buttons Character – Monkey
- Katy Sue Mould Sugar Buttons Character - Baby Elephant
- Katy Sue Mould Sugar Buttons Character – Lion
- Katy Sue Mould Sugar Buttons Character – Giraffe
- Katy Sue Mould Sugar Buttons - Stitched Teddy Bear
- Katy Sue Mould Mermaid Tail
- JEM Pop It® Duck
- JEM Pop It® Spider & Web
- FMM Fluffy Cloud Cutters set/5
- FMM Totally Tropical Leaves Cutters Set/4
- FMM Impression Mats 1 brick wall/tree bark
- Rejuvenator spirit
- Cutter Ø 2 cm
Preheat the oven to 180°C (convection oven 160°C)
Prepare 400 gram FunCakes Mix for Sponge Cake as indicated on the package. Grease the 25 cm baking pan and fill it with the batter. Bake the cake for 40 – 45 minutes in the middle of the preheated oven. Use the remaining FunCakes Mix for Sponge Cake. Grease the 15 and 20 cm baking pan and fill them with the batter. Bake the cakes in 30 – 35 minutes in the middle of the preheated oven. Let it cool down by using a cooling grid. Once cooled down, cut the sponge cakes twice and fill and cover with the buttercream. Put them in the fridge to stiffen
It’s important to prepare the sponge cake batter in two portions, because the sponge cakes should go in the oven right after you’ve made the batter. When you put the batter aside for a while before baking, it will loose its airiness.
Prepare the 500 gram FunCakes Mix for Buttercream as indicated on the package and add a flavour paste of your choice.
Colour 700 g fondant with the green FunColours Gel. Do not knead it all the way through but leave it a little marbled. Roll this out on a work surface covered with Magic Roll-Out Powder and roll it out to a thickness of 2-3 mm. Cover the 25 cm cake with it. Save the remaining fondant to colour it into a darker green.
Take 800 g fondant and colour this with the blue gel, leave it marbled again. Lightly coat the drum with piping gel and cover this and the 20 cm cake with the fondant. Save the rest of the fondant for later. Finally, take 400 g of fondant and marble this with the yellow gel. Cover the 15 cm cake with this and keep the rest of the fondant again. Stack the cakes on top of each other using cake cartons and dowels on the covered drum.
Turn a piece of white fondant into a hemisphere and use the FMM Impression Mat to make the igloo pattern. Colour the fondant into all the colours you need for the animals and use the moulds to make as many animals as you need to fill the cake. Only the penguins and the crocodile are made without a mould. Place all parts underneath a piece of plastic foil to prevent it from drying out. Mix the brown dust with the rejuvenator spirit to create paint. Use this to colour the spots on the giraffe. For the ducks use the JEM Pop It® and add some colour with the orange brush food pen and use black pearls as eyes.
For the crocodile, knead a piece of fondant green, roll a body and give it some shape by gently squeezing the fondant with your fingers and smoothing it out. Make four legs of an elongated piece of fondant and glue these to the body. Make the claws from tiny rolls of white fondant. For the eyes make two dents in the head with the large side of the ball tool and fill this with a piece of white fondant. Insert two black pearls and glue green eyebrows above it. Use a small scissor to make small cuts on the back of the crocodile, these are the scales. Give the scales some colour with a flat brush and green dust.
To make the penguin, roll two balls of black fondant, one larger than the other. Shape the largest ball into a thick drop, this being the body. Put a cocktail stick in the body and put the head on top. Roll out two pieces of black fondant and shape it into wings. Create the head and belly from white fondant. Form orange pieces of fondant into a beak and feet and glue it on the body with some edible glue.
For the trees, color some fondant green, roll it out thinly and cut out the tree leaves with the two FMM cutters. For the trunk of the cloud tree use brown fondant which you roll out thinly, give it a grain with the FMM texture mat and cut out a trunk with the cutting wheel. For the palm tree prepare small circles from brown fondant which you glue on top of each other. Attach the palm leaves slightly bent on top of this against the cake
Attach all the animals and further decoration with edible glue on the cake. Colour some piping gel with the blue paste and spread some on the drum. Add the ducks, mermaid tail and the crocodile around it. Finish the cake with some grass here and there made with green buttercream in a decorating bag with tip #233.