Cute, cuter, cutest. This cake definitely is our vision of kawaii with a lot of cuteness. This cake is a true showpiece, made with all kinds of Sugar Paste pastel colours and a lot of kawaii figures. It’s almost to adorable not to eat, but believe us. You can’t resist. It’s a real piece of kawaii art.
What you need to make your kawaii cake:
- 330 g FunCakes Mix for Sponge Cake Deluxe
- 200 g FunCakes Mix for Buttercream
- 500 g FunCakes Sugar Paste Pastel Green
- 500 g FunCakes Sugar Paste Pastel Pink
- 250 g FunCakes Sugar Paste Pastel Yellow
- 250 g FunCakes Sugar Paste Pastel Lilac
- 100 g FunCakes Sugar Paste Tropical Orange
- 50 g FunCakes Sugar Paste Pastel Blue
- 50 g FunCakes Sugar Paste Pastel Bright White
- FunCakes Food Colour Gel Bright Green
- FunCakes Sparkle Dust Golden Ginger
- FunCakes Edible Glue
- FunCakes Flavour Paste Lemon
- FunCakes Magic Roll-out Powder
- Crisco Shortening
- 250 g unsalted butter
- 200 ml + 33 ml water
- 5 eggs (approx. 250 g)
- FunCakes Bake Release Spray
- FunCakes Cake Boards Silver/Gold – Round – 15cm
- Wilton Decorator Preferred Deep Round Pan Ø 20X7,5cm
- Wilton Decorator Preferred Deep Round Pan Ø 25X7,5cm
- Wilton Cooling Grid
- Wilton Wide Glide Rolling Pin
- Wilton Small Cake Leveler
- Wilton Dowel Rods Plastic
- FMM Multi Ribbon Cutter
- FMM Bunting Cutters
- FMM Straight Frill Cutter No. 1
- Scrapcooking Fondant Extruder
- Katy Sue Mould Cake System Rope Border
Preheat the oven to 180°C (convection oven 160°C) and grease the baking pans with FunCakes Bake Release Spray.
Prepare 200 g FunCakes Mix for Buttercream as indicated on the package. Flavour the buttercream with the Flavour Paste.
Prepare 330 g FunCakes Mix for Sponge Cake Deluxe as directed on the package. Fill the 20 cm pan to 2/3 with batter, put the rest in the larger baking pan. Bake the cake for about 30-35 minutes and let the cake cool down by using a cooling grid.
Cut the 20 cm cookie into 2 layers with the cake leveler and cut the other cookie in half. Fill and spread all around with buttercream and leave to set in the refrigerator.
Knead the 500 g FunCakes Sugar Paste Pastel Green and the 500 g FunCakes Sugar Paste Pastel Pink smoothly, roll it out to a thickness of about 2-3 mm and line the two cake with it.
Colour the Pastel Green Sugar Paste one shade darker with the FunCakes Food Color Gel Bright Green. Roll this out very thin and use the multi ribbon cutter to make a long string about 1.5 cm wide. From the FMM tappit set, take the grass edge and use this to make a long grass edge to fit around the cake and stick this with a little edible glue.
Push 4 dowels from the center into the cake and cut to size. Place the small cake with a cake carton on top of this.
Knead the 250 g FunCakes Sugar Paste Pastel Yellow and the 250 g FunCakes Sugar Paste Pastel Lilac and roll it out thinly. Make with the multi ribbon cutter strips of about 1,5 cm and stick them alternately against the cake. Do not let the strips come all the way to the top.
With some Pastel Yellow Sugar Paste, using the Katy Sue Mould Cake System Rope Bonder, make a border and powder this with a soft brush using the FunCakes Sparkle Dust Golde Ginger gold. Stick this above the lilac and yellow strips on the cake with some edible glue.
Roll out all the colours of Sugar Paste (except the white) thin and cut out flags with the FMM Buntin Cutters Set/3. Let this air dry for a while. Meanwhile, knead the white Sugar Paste with a little crisco until smooth and put it in the extruder where you put the disc with a small hole and make a few long lines.
Lay the white lines draped over the top cake and stick here and there with a little edible glue. Glue the flags against it.
Make different kawaii figures, such as animals or fruit. Want to know more about how to model these kawaii figures? Check out our blog How to: modeling kawaii figures.