This amazing surf cake is for all the surfers and beach lovers out there! It’s the perfect birthday or summer cake. Who’s ready to catch some waves and eat a lot of cake?
What you need to make surf cake:
- 400 g FunCakes Mix for Sponge Cake
- 300 g FunCakes Mix for Buttercream
- FunCakes Flavour Paste – Whipped Cream
- 850 g FunCakes Fondant – Bright White
- 250 g FunCakes Fondant – Stone Grey
- Little bit of FunCakes Fondant – Fire Red
- FunCakes FunColours Gel – Royal Blue
- FunCakes FunColours Dust – Navy Blue
- FunCakes FunColours Brush Food Pen - Black
- FunCakes FunColours Brush Food Pen - Red
- FunCakes FunColours Brush Food Pen - Silver Gray
- FunCakes FunColours Brush Food Pen - Royal Blue
- 375 g unsalted butter
- 300 ml water
- 100 g FunCakes Royal Icing
- 55 ml water
- 6 eggs (approx. 300 g)
- 1 package of biscuits
- FunCakes Bake Release Spray
- FunCakes Edible Glue
- FunCakes Decorating Bags
- FunCakes Cake Board Gold/Silver 16 cm
- FunCakes Magic Roll-Out Powder
- Wilton Decorator Preferred Round Baking Pan Ø 20 cm
- Wilton Decorator Preferred Round Baking Pan Ø 15 cm
- Wilton -Perfect Height- Rolling Pin
- Wilton Decorating Brush
- Wilton Cake Leveler
- Wilton Cooling Grid
- FMM Impression Mats 1 Brick wall / tree grain
- FMM More than a Bird House Cutter
- PME Plastic Dowels
- PME Modeling tool - Bulbulous Cone
- PME Modeling tool - Cutting Wheel
- Katy Sue Mold Seashells
Knead 850 grams of white fondant, roll it out to a thickness of 2 mm and cut out the parts for the house. Cut out the surfboards by hand with the cutting wheel.
Roll out 250 grams of grey fondant thinly and press the impression mat into the fondant by using a rolling pin. Cut strips out of the grey fondant and glue these against the front and sides of the house.
Colour some fondant light blue and roll it out thinly. Cut out the door and print the wooden texture in the remaining fondant again. Cover the roof parts of the house with this. Also cut out the front panels along the eaves and the door frames.
Then cut out a white circle with a hole in the middle and cover it with slices of red fondant. Assemble the house with royal icing.
Tip! Prepare the house and surfboard at least 2 days in advance so they can dry well. Assemble the parts of the house when it’s completely dry.
For the shells, mix a bit of light blue, grey and white fondant lightly to create a marble effect. Use the seashells mould to create shells with this marbled texture.
Preheat the oven to 180 °C (convection oven 160 °C).
Prepare 400 grams of FunCakes Mix for Sponge Cake as indicated on the package. Grease the baking pans using baking spray. Divide the sponge cake batter into the two baking pans. Bake the sponge cake for 30 – 35 minutes and release them on a cooling grid allowing to let them cool down completely.
Prepare 300 grams of FunCakes Mix for Buttercream as indicated on the package. Add to taste the flavour paste to the buttercream. Place the sponge cakes on a cut-to-size cake board, cut them both twice using a cake leveler and fill and cover with buttercream all around. Let them set in the fridge.
Roll out white fondant very thinly into an elongated strip. If necessary, trim with a sharp knife. Place this on a work surface sprinkled with magic roll-out powder and roll over the edges with the bulbulous cone. This way the fondant will curl. Stick two strips of this from the top edge against the cake. You don’t have to use glue, it sticks to the buttercream. Colour the rest of the white fondant in various shades of blue, make strips in the same way as described above and glue them to the cake. With the navy blue dust powder you give the edges of the fondant a blue colour with the help of a brush.
Push 4 dowels into the cake and cut them to size. Grind the cookies in the food processor. Cover the smallest cake with the cookie crumbs by pressing them against the cake by hand. Secure this cake with a bit of buttercream on the bottom cake. Sprinkle cookie crumbs along the edge. Carefully place the house on top of the cake and divide the surfboards around the cake. Decorate with the shells.