Pink panda cake
Panda’s already are too cute to resist, but this huge pink bow on top even adds a little extra. Nice for babyshowers!
What you need to make pink panda cake:
- 450 g FunCakes Mix for Sponge Cake
- 200 g FunCakes Mix for Buttercream
- FunCakes flavour paste of your choice
- 750 g FunCakes fondant – Bright White
- 500 g FunCakes fondant – Raven Black
- 250 g FunCakes fondant – Pretty Pink
- Little bit of FunCakes fondant – Spring Green
- Little bit of FunCakes Royal Icing
- FunCakes CMC - Tylo Poeder
- FunCakes Edible Glue
- FunCakes Clear Piping Gel
- 7 eggs (approx. 350 g)
- 245 ml water
- 250 g unsalted butter
- FunCakes Bake Release SprayFunCakes Cake Drum Round Ø25cmFunCakes Cake Cards silver/gold ROUND 16cmFunCakes Disposable Decorating BagsFunCakes Magic Roll-Out PowderWilton Decorator Preferred® Deep Round Pan Ø 15x7,5cmWilton Decorator Preferred® Deep Round Pan Ø 20x7,5cmWilton Ultimate Cake LevelerWilton Chrome-Plated Cooling Grid
- Wilton Decorator Preferred Spatula Angled
- Wilton -Perfect Height- Rolling Pin 22,5cm
- Wilton -Wide Glide- Rolling Pin 50cm
- PME Mini Heart Shape Plunger Cutter Set/3
- PME Modelling tools, Cutting Wheels
- PME Miniature Oval Plunger Cutter set/4
- PME Modelling tools, Blade and Shell
- FMM Impression Mat Vintage Lace
- FMM Multi Ribbon cutter
- Wilton Bamboo Dowel Rods
- Cutter Ø 1,5 cm
- Black ribbon for around the edge of the drum
- Picture of a panda via Google
- Paper towel
Ideally make the panda and the bow 2 days earlier. For the panda you can print an image of a panda (found via Google) and cut out all parts. The easiest way is to have multiple copies. Knead some tylo powder through the black fondant to make it firmer. Do the same with a piece of white fondant. Roll out the black fondant and cut the entire circumference of the panda and the eyes with the cutting wheel. Roll out the white fondant, cut out all parts that should be white and attach them with some edible glue on the black surface. Take two small pieces of white for the eyes and two small pieces of black for the pupils; also use a little black ball for the nose. Make a bamboo stick and some leaves from a small piece of spring green fondant. Glue this onto the panda.
For the bow knead some tylo powder through the pink fondant. Roll it out to a thickness of about 2 mm and press the lace mat on it. Cut two rectangular pieces, put some glue along the long side, fold them with a roll of kitchen paper in between and squeeze the edges together lightly. Place a small rectangular piece inverted on your work surface and place the two bow loops on it. Fold the piece around it with glue. Let the panda and the bow dry for two days so that it can stand upright on the cake.
Preheat the oven to 180°C (convection oven 160°C) and grease the baking pans with Bake Release Sray.
Prepare 450 gram FunCakes Mix for Sponge Cake as indicated on the package. Divide the batter into the two baking pans and bake for 30-35 minutes. After baking, release them on a cooling grid and allow to cool completely.
Prepare 200 grams FunCakes Mix for Buttercream as indicated on the package and add to taste the flavour paste of your choice to the buttercream.
Cut the sponge cakes twice with the cake leveler and fill and cover with buttercream. Let them stiffen in the refrigerator. Lubricate the drum with piping gel and cover it with black fondant. Finish with a black ribbon. Cut a cake carton slightly smaller than the smallest cake. Roll out the white fondant and cover the two cakes. Carefully place the bottom cake on the drum, insert 4 dowels and cut to size. Put the smallest cake with the cake carton on top. If necessary, add a bit of buttercream in between to prevent it from moving. Roll out black fondant in the length and use the multi ribbon cutter to make large strips and glue them along the edge of the cakes. Also cut the smallest size hearts out of very thinly rolled black fondant. Roll out the pink fondant thinly and cut out circles, save some fondant for the ribbons for the bow. Glue the circles and hearts on the cake. Then cut out the ribbons for the bow with the lace mat. Put a little bit of royal icing in a piping bag and glue the bow, loops and the panda on/against the cake.